LE CANNET / MOUGINS / MOUANS-SARTOUX / GRASSE
On 2 March 1815, Napoleon went through the villages of Le Cannet, Mougins and Mouans-Sartoux before reaching the hills around Grasse.
• Place de la Foux (Grasse), then Lavoir de la Foux(washhouse) to Plateau de Roquevignon. Napoleon and his men stopped there, because they could not set up
camp in the centre of Grasse with so many men.
• Hôtel Pontevès (Grasse), where the wife of the Sub-Prefect, Monsieur Bain, received Princess Pauline, the Emperor’s sister, who was her daughter’s godmother!
• Rue de la Commune (Grasse) –since renamed Rue du Général-Gazan– was the home of General Gazan, victorious at the Battle of Iéna and a staunch support of
Napoleon at the time.
The City of Grasse, today’s World Capital of Perfume, and the Galimard Perfumery are launching the new perfume “Napoléon 1815” in honour of Napoleon and the Bicentenary of the Route.
NB: in September 2015: the International Festival of Gastronomy, “Les Étoiles de Mougins” will celebrate its 10th anniversary!
• Camping La Paoute – Grasse: www.campinglapaoute.com
• Villa Tao – Grasse : www.villatao.fr
• Bastide Lou Pantail – Grasse: www.lou-pantail.com
• Best Western Elixir – Grasse: www.bestwestern-elixir-grasse.com
To discover: The collection of International Perfumery Museum in Grasse includes several objects (bottle, box for Eau de Cologne…) linked to Napoleon who was very much concerned with odour and cleanliness: www.museesdegrasse.com