LA SAULCE DES ALPES / TALLARD / GAP
At La Saulce, on 5 March, the burghers from Marseille who supported King Louis XVIII wished to arrest Napoleon, but suffered humiliation at the hand of the people of Gap, rallied to the Emperor’s cause. On the night of 5 March, Napoleon rested at Auberge Marchand, on Rue de France in Gap. In the morning of Monday 6 March, Napoleon left town through the gate, Porte de Lignole, and across the bridge, Pont de Burle, with his horsemen to Corps via Col Bayard.
Today, La Saulce is a protected nature site, known for producing apples and pears. Tallard is a mediaeval town famous for its castle (open year round), but it is also popular for air sports –parachuting, hot-air ballooning, helicopter flying, gliding, ultralight craft…– since the Gap-Tallard airfield is Europe’s top Leisure-Flying centre.
Between Gap and Col Bayard, there are the splendid terraced gardens of Domaine de Charance and an 18-hole golf course with a panorama over the valley.
NB: The Tourist Bureau of Gap provides bicycles on loan to discover the surroundings. For gastronomy, Plateau du Champsaur is famous for its mountain pasture and boasts many delectable local products!
• The site of Les Piles near the village of La Saulce witnessed a battle between Royalists (partisans of King Louis XVIII) and supporters of Napoleon.
• In Tallard, a sketch of a Napoleonic soldier remains on a wall of St-Jean-du-Château (preserved during restoration of the chapel).
• “Le Petit Chariot” Chambres d’hôtes (La Saulce) – Lieu-dit Gandière: +33 (0)6 83 36 86 63
• Hôtel Le Mas d’Estello*** – Pied de la Plaine RN 85 – Tallard: www.lemasdestello.fr
• Hôtel Le Cap e RésidenCiel – Aéropole de Tallard – RN 85: www.lecapresort.com
• Mon hôtel à Gap : in the city centre, a stone’s throw from the pedestrian district. Breakfast with local products: www.monhotelagap.com
• La Canadienne chez Mauzan, rooms and table d’hôtes: On Route Napoléon in the house occupied by the famous 20th-century poster painter Achille
Mauzan, who was born in Gap: www.chambresdhotescanadagap.com