Ladakh – a land of high passes, lies in the state of Jammu and Kashmir in India. It is popular amongst adventure-lovers as it has the great Himalayas for trekking, camping, exploring nature and high pass roads you can drive up to experience something new and different.
No matter how short your trip is or what kind of a vacation you are planning in Ladakh, you might like to try these 20 things. (These are not just tourist attractions, these 20 items provide a great experience that you would cherish when you get back home.)
Ladakh – Jammu & Kashmir
These 20 things to do in Ladakh are handpicked from avid Ladakh-lovers’ experiences. If you are visiting, you should try at least 10.
1. Camping is allowed near almost all lakes in Ladakh. Camp for a night and watch the sunrise by the water. It is a picturesque moment.
Camping in Ladakh
2. If you are up for camping, the next thing that you should try is camping in mountains. Food and water are not easily found here. Make sure you are well-equipped.
3. If you are visiting during winter, visit the spot where the Indus and Zanskar rivers meet. During winter, the river may be frozen and tourists can walk on the ice. It is an important trekking route in Ladakh.
4. All nature lovers should try bird-watching. The high altitude spots are the best for bird-watching. Top bird to spot is brown-headed gull that is found only during sunrise.
Brown Headed Gull in Ladakh
5. In the olden days, stacking stones in the mountains was a sign of direction; now tourists and locals consider it an act of good luck. Stacking stones in any unoccupied land is becoming popular among tourists.
6. The locals are very friendly and welcoming. You can enjoy a homemade meal at Ladakh. This is the only way to enjoy authentic butter tea here. Momos is also an important dish that is served in almost all households.
Butter Tea – Made from Yak’s Milk, Little Salty and Watery
Momo’s – Ladakh Special Cuisine
7. Visit any monastery and spin the spinning wheels or prayer wheels. Tourists of all religions are allowed inside monasteries and religious places but it is important to follow their rules and maintain silence.
Spinning Wheels for Prayer
8. Diskit Monastery is an important spot where you can meditate. Many people visit this place for peace finding. You are welcome to explore and meditate in this monastery.
9. Many monks will be interested in sharing rare stories about the place and monasteries. Approach them politely and always have a guide with you. (Don’t expect all monks to be fluent in English.)
10. Eating hot soup or noodles at high altitude is another interesting experience.
11. You can find Bactrian camels here. Try to capture one with your camera.
Camel Safari Ladakh
12. Spotting animals along the sides of the mountain is another important nature-lover activity. You can spot animals like wild horses, mountain dogs, ibex and others.
13. You can find a lot of natural hot water springs in the mountains. Cooking noodles or pasta with the water is a necessity for campers. You can also try a cup of noodles cooked in the most natural way.
14. If you are lucky, you can enjoy snowfall. Play snow angels and have snowball fights here. To enjoy this, you ought to visit during winter.
15. Near Leh’s War Museum, you can find an adventure park where you can enjoy obstacle courses and others. This park provides entertainment for all age groups. You can spend a few hours to a whole day here.
16. Ladakh is famous for the highest motorable mountain roads. Riding a bike on these passes is an important activity that attracts numerous international tourists to this place. If you are an avid motorcycle rider, try this. (It is strictly not for novice riders.)
Motorable Pass in Ladakh
17. The mountain passes are filled with lots of interesting and funny road signs. You ought to capture a few in your camera.
18. Tso Moriri is a lake in Ladakh that is famous for relaxation. You don’t find a lot of tourists here and it is mainly meant for silent relaxation. If you have a couple of hours to spare, enjoy the view and relax. Remember that this place will have no mobile signal too.
Tso Moriri Lake
19. Hanle Observatory is the highest observatory in the world. The place and the observatory are both breathtaking. You can also camp here and explore Hanle Monastery.
20. Many people hike in any small mountains around or in Leh and some visit Temisgam that is 100 km away from Leh just for trekking and hiking. No matter which mountain you choose, you ought to try hiking here.
There are a lot of other things to enjoy in Ladakh no matter when you visit. If you are visiting during rainy season, you might not be able to enjoy all the adventure activities here. You should know about the best time to visit Ladakh so you can enjoy this beautiful destination and adventure spot.